COMMUNTY OF HOPE
For over twenty years Community of Hope, a non-profit charitable organization In Washington D.C., has
assisted homeless and low-income families to become healthy and self-reliant.
While decent affordable housing is a universal need, it is a means to an end. The larger end is a meaningful
life with family, rewarding work, and fulfilling educational goals.
As such, the goal of the Community of Hope is not merely to find permanent housing for homeless families, but
to help families escape the cycle of poverty in an environment of learning and empowerment which promotes
literacy, employment, self-sufficiency, social, physical and spiritual.
Our mission is to restore hope by breaking the cycle of inner-city poverty.
The Community of Hope accomplishes its mission by:
- Providing temporary housing and support services which offer the opportunity to homeless families to gain
the skills and resources necessary to obtain employment and permanent housing in neighborhoods of their
- Providing health care and social services to neighborhood families. Health services includes primary,
preventive and acute care in a family setting to encourage and support healthier lives for individuals,
families and the neighborhood.
- Providing educational opportunities that empower children, youth and adults with the skills necessary to
excel in school and secure meaningful employment.
The Programs offered at Community of Hope work closely together. Our attention is focused on three
general areas of need.
- Provides housing for 33 formerly homeless families.
- 12-18 month program that includes drug and alcohol recovery counseling, case management, support groups
and life skill training.
- 4,000 Patient visits a year.
- Family Practice setting.
- Preventative, primary and acute care for homeless and low-income families and individuals.
- HIV +/and AIDS patient outreach and case management.
- Support groups.
- Provides year 'round assistance for children, youth and college students.
- Daily homework lab and mentoring and tutoring programs.
- Educational/Employment assistance for young adults in the surrounding neighborhood.
- GED and College preparation.
A variety of volunteer opportunities are available at Community of Hope:
- Fundraising/Special events planning.
- Medical Practitioners.
Financial contributions are tax-deductible and may be forwarded directly to Community of Hope.
Designate Community of Hope through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (#8278).
Contributions of furniture, office supplies and equipment, blankets, dish sets, glasses, pots and pans,
curtains, towels, wash cloths, garbage bags, paper towels, toilet paper, tooth brushes, tooth paste,
shampoo, and household cleaners are always welcome.
Community of Hope
1417 Belmont Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009
(202) 232-1014 - Fax
Back to Columbia Heights Organizations