Covington Catholic graduate Nicholas Sandmann reaches an agreement with NBC

0

Nicholas Sandmann set up shop with NBC-Universal on Friday, he said.

The 19-year-old Covington Catholic High School student in Kentucky was attacked by the media over a confrontation at the March for Life 2019 in Washington, DC

“At this point, I want to release NBC and have reached an agreement.” Sandmann wrote on Twitter, adding that the terms are confidential.

Following the Washington, DC incident in 2019, many media and Democratic politicians criticized Sandmann for confronting a Native American elder at the Lincoln Memorial after the march.

Sandmann was caught on video wearing one of former President Donald Trump‘s “Make America Great Again” campaign hats while smiling at activist Nathan Phillips as Phillips beat a ceremonial drum and sang to him nearby.

Several media reports at the time alleged the incident had been racially accused by the white teenager, which Sandmann and other witnesses denied.

People judged Sandmann “by an expression I wasn’t grinning, but people assumed I did,” he said in a 2019 interview with NBC News host Savannah Guthrie.

Nearby members of the Black Hebrew Israelite group yelled insultingly at him and his classmates, he added.

“I heard they called us incest children, fanatics, racists,” said Sandmann.

His motion against NBC-Universal and MSNBC allegedly claimed $ 275 million in damages.

CNN and the Washington Post both settled undisclosed amounts of defamation lawsuits against Sandman in 2020.

The lawsuit against CNN sought damages for “emotional distress suffered by Nicholas and his family” in the aftermath of the network’s coverage.

Law professor William Jacobson told Fox News at the time that CNN’s approval of a settlement is a “rare example of a ‘little guy’ standing up to a media giant,” and valued the deal at least seven figures.

Sandmann, then a Covington Catholic High School student, was criticized after a confrontation with a Native American elder at the March for Life in 2019.
REUTERS

In 2020, Sandmann attorney Todd McMurtry told Fox News that lawsuits will be filed against “up to 13 other defendants,” including ABC, CBS, The Guardian, HuffPost, NPR, Slate, The Hill and Gannett, owned by the Cincinnati Enquirer as well other small outlets.

After Illinois teen Kyle Rittenhouse was acquitted of murder charges when he shot and killed two rioters in similar media attacks in Kenosha, Wisconsin on November 19, Sandmann told Fox News that the teen’s experiences seemed similar and that he was six pending lawsuits against other media themselves in November.

“It’s horrible, Sean – as a 17-year-old in Kyle’s case and in my 16, your mind is evolving,” he told host Sean Hannity. “To deal with a stressful overload where you feel like half the country – hundreds of millions of people – hates you for something you’re innocent of, but the way you are painted can do a lot to you mentally. “

“It takes a very strong will to resist and keep a cool head,” he added. “I think that’s what Kyle Rittenhouse is looking at right now.”

Fox News’ Joseph Wulfsohn and Brian Flood contributed to this report.

Share.

Comments are closed.