When Vanessa Santos, 31, moved to DC from Michigan to work as a publicist 10 years ago, she was desperate for friends. So, like many 20-year-old transplants, she joined a rec league. football to be exact.
- There she met a guy named Steve Santos.
How They Became Besties: This besties story is a little different because, spoiler alert, Steven and Vanessa are now married.
- Yes, they even posed with a soccer ball in their wedding photos.
But their love started with friendship first. Both have loved football for a long time. Vanessa played coming of age and Steven, a 33-year-old Portuguese scientist, is obsessed with Cristiano Ronaldo.
- And going onto the field together and seeing each other’s competitive side brought them closer together.
Her bestie tip: Join a sports league like DC Fray or District Sports because you’ll meet a lot of people with common interests.
- No, you don’t have to be a professional, says Vanessa. Many leagues are non-competitive and depend more on the group than a cup at the end of the season.
What you say: “Team collaboration will happen in each of the social leagues,” says Steven.
- In their case, Sunday morning games were usually followed by brunch at Biergarten Haus on H Street or Across the Pond in Dupont Circle, where they watched more football on TV.
“After all, football defined a whole group of friends,” says Vanessa. Everyone went to the wedding.
We’re ready to bring you more stories from DC besties. Do you and yours want to share how you became closer? E-mail [email protected]