UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – the Saginaw Valley State University Men’s basketball team fell to 17th-ranked Ferris State University 82-71 in a Thursday night Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference James E. O’Neill Jr. Arena Competition. SVSU falls to 12-7 overall and 6-5 in the GLIAK. The loss put the Cardinals on an eight-game win streak at home.
The conference-leading Bulldogs are 15-3 overall and 10-0 in league play.
How it happened:
- Both teams went back and forth during the first media timeout as Ferris State held an 11-10 lead.
- The Bulldogs put on a 9-0 run and went up 10 points before a 3-pointer from James Toohey got the Cardinals back on track.
- SVSU came within three points after two layups from Tyrik Singh and one layup from Delano Smith.
- Ferris State put on a 9-1 run before SVSU closed the gap to seven points before the halftime break. The Bulldogs went into the dressing room at 33:26.
- In the second half, Ferris State took an eight-point lead before SVSU ran 9-2 to cut the lead to just one, leaving 11:34.
- The Cardinals couldn’t take the lead, however, as Ferris State held off the pressure and controlled the game with 6:27 left to claim the win.
In the box score:
- Delano Smith led SVSU with 20 points in 9-of-15 shooting. He grabbed seven rebounds and had three steals.
- Toohey added 14 points for the Cardinals. The senior was 4-of-6 from deep.
- Freddie McIntosh had 11 points and four assists.
- The Bulldogs won the fight on the glass as they had 43 rebounds compared to 37 for SVSU.
- SVSU was 27 of 70 from the field, 8 of 25 from 3-point range, and 9 of 18 from the free throw line.
- Lee Higgins led Ferris State with 23 points.
SVSU will host Lake Superior State University Saturday at 3:00 p.m. at the James E. O’Neill Jr. Arena.