The Pentagon announced late Friday that it had offered condolences to the families of the 10 people who were killed in a fatal US drone attack in late August.
The Pentagon did not provide any information about the amount of condolence payments. Pentagon press secretary John KirbyJohn KirbyPentagon offers to pay the families of the victims of the Afghan drone attack in China, US military officials held talks to discuss relations Erdoğan says Turkey plans to buy another Russian defense system MORE added in its statement that the Pentagon would support the State Department for relatives who may wish to move to the US
The announcement came after a virtual meeting between the President of the organization that employed Zemari Ahmadi, Steven Kwon, and Under-Secretary of State for Politics Colin Kahl, at which the US made its offers.
Kirby said in his statement that Kwon spoke about Ahmadi’s role within the aid organization and that Kahl acknowledged that the incident was a “tragic mistake” and that Ahmadi and others who died were “innocent victims, and not to blame with ISIS-K. related or threats to US forces. “
In late August, US Navy Captain Bill Urban announced in a statement that the US had carried out a drone attack, claiming that “an imminent ISIS-K threat” to Kabul airport had been removed. Urban also stated that there had been two explosions.
However, reports later surfaced suggesting the target vehicle was being driven by a man who worked for an aid organization with no apparent ties to ISIS-K.
In mid-September, the head of the US Central Command, General Frank McKenzie, admitted that an investigation into the drone attack revealed that it was a “tragic mistake”.
“I am now convinced that up to ten civilians, including up to seven children, were tragically killed in this attack,” McKenzie said. “We also analyzed that it is unlikely that the vehicle and the deceased were related to ISIS-K or posed a direct threat to the US armed forces.”
This prompted the families of those killed to urge the Pentagon to do more, arguing that the Pentagon’s apology was “not enough”.
Kirby said in his statement that the level of condolence payments will be discussed in future meetings between the Pentagon and Ahmadi’s employers.